Friday, January 17, 2014

My 7 "Keepers" in a World Full of Options

Girls, I know some of you wont admit it. But I know you cheat. 

So now before the guilt sets in about the wrong thing, let me just clear up that I was talking about how we tend to become unfaithful to our cosmetic products. "You change your mind like a girl changes clothes" - as that Katy Perry anthem goes. But me, when I find something that serves me well, I more or less stick with it. It's like comfort food - you'll wanna experiment, but at the end, that Pancake house spaghetti is what you'll look for when you feel like you've got a craving (at least in my case). 

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of all-out make up so if you were waiting for some kind of god-sent enlightenment on how to achieve the perfect smokey cat eye - sorry to disappoint ladies but I have not exactly been promoted to make-up guru just yet. But a girl can dream. 

So with that, I guess I just wanted to share with you what I have found to be "keepers" in a world full of options (in the cosmetic world, that is. still working on the human aspect of that notion haha kidding). 




So here's my take on the perfect everyday look:

1. Elf Eyebrow Kit - I love the gel and powder combination on this one! It allows you to fill in your brows (using the gel) and set it (using the powder so that the color doesn't wear off) and it doesn't make it look like you just drew and stenciled in your brows, which makes it look more natural. Well-groomed brows can instantly amplify your look. I would suggest buying an angled applicator brush though, because the one included in this palette doesn't give you that arch you probably want.But other than that, i'd consider this as a really good buy. 

2. Maybelline 3-in-1 Foundation - Some foundations have this cake-y look on your face after you apply it. Thankfully this does otherwise. It evens out your skin tone and just makes your face look less like a disco ball and removes all that unnecessary shine from the oilyness.

3. Pond's BB Cream - I actually like this one better than the Maybelline BB Cream which I initially used because it smells nicer and less like sunblock. I use bb cream because I get this notion that it doubles as foundation and SPF. Can't have too much sun these days with global warming and all - wouldn't wanna look like Benjamin Button any time soon.

4. MAC Haught and Naughty Lash Mascara - My absolute favorite. It allows you to choose between day-time look and night-time look with its dual wand design. That way, you don't have to reapply a thousand times to thicken the coat! Doing this clumps your mascara and makes your eyelashes look like twigs rather than graceful strands of lashes. 

5. Shu Uemura Eye Lash Curler - Even without mascara, this baby really makes you look like you've had 8 hours of sleep (even if you actually had 0). It's the perfect way to make your eyes look more alive and less like one of the walking dead zombies from haggard land. 

6. MAC Retro Matte Lipstick in Ruby Woo - I don't regret taking Alyssa Lapid's word for it because this is so awesome in every sense of the word. It suits all types of skin tones, so the only thing you need really, is the confidence to pull it off. It also brings out your pearly whites and makes you look more polished. But I would suggest you try to compare how Russian Red works for you as well because it was the first runner up for this category.

7. Maybelline Mineral Power Blush - Mineral blushes are my personal pick because there's a shimmery finish to it and it doesn't look like you took a marker and wiped it on the apples of your cheek. And the application is considerably light and looks natural which is how blush on was really intended to be. 

Notice that I did not include concealer, because I haven't found one that seals the deal. I'm still testing the waters when it comes to that. I imagine this to be some kind of symbiotic relationship you see wherein I give my two cents and you give yours, so if you're a kind enough soul, do comment below if you've got the answer to my concealer blues. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment