Friday, September 13, 2013

The Punchline, The Answer and The Type

It’s one thing to write poetry, it’s another to hear and experience the raw origin of those words, and everything responsible for giving birth to those words in the first place.

The frustration, the bursting-out-of-your-chest kind of happiness, the unrelenting questions, – she gives life to all of them and she makes it seem like the words have hands and they reach out and grab whoever dares to listen. Which is why her genius just cannot go undiscovered, I just won’t allow it. I am obsessed with her art, her poetry, and the feeling I get every time she delivers the punchline.

“The Type” has so much brilliant moments in it, and I hope it gives you just as much “feels” as it did me. It almost felt like when she said "this poem is for my best friend" she had meant me (haha FC?). 

Enjoy.


The Type by Sarah Kay




“Only some men will want to learn
what it feels like to curl themselves into a question mark around you,
admit they do not have the answers
they thought they would have by now;
some men will want to hold you like The Answer.
You are not The Answer.”



"It is hard to stop loving the ocean.
Even after it has left you gasping, salty.
So forgive yourself for the decisions you have made, the ones you still call
mistakes when you tuck them in at night"

No comments:

Post a Comment